Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Leibster Award


This week I was surprised, humbled, and honored to have been awarded a Leibster blog award by someone whose blog completely inspires me, Megan.  This is an award given to small blogs who have less than 200 followers, and it was just really exciting to receive it.

The Rules

     1.  Post 11 random facts about yourself.
     2.  Answer the questions the nominator came up with
     3.  Create 11 new questions for those you nominate
     4.  Choose 11 new bloggers with less than 200 followers (this will be hard for me as I don't know that many...)
     5.  Let them know about their nominations :)


Random Facts about Me

     1.  I have hair ADD- and change it constantly
     2.  My favorite colors are teal, orange, and green
     3.  I love housework, and am always kind of jealous of SAHM
     4.  I could drink iced tea, herbal tea, hot tea all day- and pretty much do
     5.  I teach in a school where about 85% of my kids are living below the poverty line.  I like a challenge.
     6.  I want to eventually do missions in some small village, anywhere in the world
     7.  My blog became most read when I blogged about having an abortion here.  I am still amazed that the blog that caused me to humble myself the most is the one God has used the most.
     8.  I watch movies for set and costume design wayyy more than I do for story line.
     9.  I love love love teaching reading- especially how to think about what you're reading
     10.  I love to read myself- especially things like Francis Schaeffer and CS Lewis.  I am basically a nerd.  And I'm ok with that :)
     11.  My favorite animal is a shovel lizard which is found in the Sahara Desert.  Some close runners up are manatees, caribou, and song birds.  (I actually have book on bird watching I bought like 5 years ago.  Again, I'm a nerd)


My Nominations

     1.  My lovely real life friend Kate
     2.  My lovely real life friend Angela
     3.  My lovely real life friend Amanda
     4.  Emily Kate whose honesty more than inspires me
     5.  Kristin whose current posts on Jesus as the best Valentine are right on
     6.  Erica who I credit with showing me the freedom of art journaling- and I love her funky style
     7.  A new blog friend Beth
     8.  Leigh who has a wonderful laid back style
     9.  Katie who has a pretty straight forward way of writing, which I respect
   
Ok I don't actually follow anymore with less followers-  So for those who I nominate feel free to add 2 extra to your lists.


Megan Asked....
     1.  Favorite childhood memory- I have a lot, but by far, anything involving visiting my Grandma's farm in the summer.  I would pick raspberries for hours (who knows what all I ate along with them since they were never washed).  I would play in the creek.  I would wander through the woods for hours.  I would catch fireflies at night.  There was always a new litter of baby kittens.  And of course, being around family in general is still dear to my heart.  I'm very 'clannish' like that.
     2.  Which is better, tall or short?  Since I'm a total shortie (5'1"), I often wish I were taller.  As in not in need of getting everything hemmed.  Or just able to do normal things without a stepladder.  But in truth, I don't mind being short.  It kind of makes me feel cute.
     3.  Favorite Starbucks drink- I like skinny vanilla latte's, but I aften add a pump of coconut too.  Kind weird, but I really like it.
     4.  Chocolate or vanilla- chocolate.  and lots of it.  (except obviously at Starbucks....)
     5.  Lipgloss or Lipstick- technically lipstick.  But honestly, I usually don't wear either.  If I actually dress up for date night I will wear lipstick.  Mostly, I wear non colored chapstick.
     6.  Favorite TV series- The Bachelor, the Bachelorette.  I blame my sister for getting me into that one.  Also there is a blog called Lost Angeles, which is hilarious and makes fun of the whole thing, which I love.
     7.  Favorite room in your house- If the toys are put away, my living room, because my cozy reading chair is there.  I love reading!
     8.  What are you currently reading-  Just finished Surprised By Joy by CS Lewis.  Currently reading through Game of Thrones as well as a book called Boundaries as recommended by my counselor.  I am getting ready to start A Severe Mercy, which my boyfriend bought me for Christmas.  I have a tendancy to read several books at a time...
     9.  Favorite smartphone app- I actually don't use many apps at all, but I am definitely into instagram (thistleashd).  Use that one a lot.
     10.  Dream vacation destination- weird places like Alaska or Morocco or Turkey.  Alaska because I want to observe animals in their natural habitat.  And also sleep in a bus like "Into the Wild".  Morocco and Turkey because I love Muslim cities and open air markets.  I just think the Arabic decor is so beautiful.
     11.  Favorite product in my make up bag- I actually only wear foundation, eyeliner, and mascara usually.  But eyeliner and mascara I will always put on.  The rest of it is a function of time.


My Random Questions

     1.  What is your favorite book and why?
     2.  If you could change something about the world, what would it be?
     3.  What does your perfect day look like?
     4.  What is your greatest strength?
     5.  What is one thing you wish you did better?
     6.  Aside from your parents, who has had the biggest impact on your life?
     7.  What is your favorite movie and why?
     8.  If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
     9.  What was your favorite thing about high school or college?
     10.  Favorite childhood memory?
     11.  What is your favorite attribute of God?




8 comments:

Danielle In The City said...

I want to go to turkey too! Lets go!

Danielle In The City said...

I want to go to turkey too! Lets go!

ThistleAshD said...

No way!!!! I would loooooove to go- don't meet very many people wanting to go there!

Laura Darling said...

I love to do housework too!

DaisyGirl said...

I loved reading your answers and facts about yourself! So much fun!! I love to read, too. In fact, as soon as we're in a place that has the space to allow it, I'm going to have me a reading nook. I have it all pictured in my head. ha! So, if reading makes you a nerd, dreaming about a reading nook makes me a big, ol nerd. ha!!!!

Katie Ramirez said...

Thank you so very much! I'll go post the answer to my questions now!

ThistleAshD said...

Totally welcome :)

Megan Card said...

How am I know just seeing this??? I check your blog regularly... seriously, how did I miss this post?!

Loved your answers!! Thanks for being such a great blogging friend :)